The best software in the world isn’t very helpful if users don’t understand how to use it. In addition to making software more intuitive, user experience-driven design can increase retention, encourage upgrades and improve the bottom line. Hiring a dedicated team is a sure-fire way to improve the user experience, but fortunately, there are some shortcuts.
Let’s take a closer look at these frameworks and how they can help streamline user interface design for your applications.The best software in the world isn’t very helpful if users don’t understand how to use it—the good news is that UX frameworks can help! Click To Tweet
How Frameworks Can Help
Modern CSS frameworks make it easy to streamline the development of user interfaces by providing baseline stylesheets and scripts. With these standards in place, designers have a starting point for building user interface elements, such as buttons or grids, and developers can more readily convert their designs into code—even automatically in some cases!
In addition to simplifying UI design, these frameworks enable developers to create acceptable designs using unmodified baseline styles. This is extremely helpful when building prototypes that are sufficient for user testing before achieving product-market fit. You can keep costs low when the product is still in flux and maximize the budget when it is production-ready.
Some popular CSS frameworks include:
- Bootstrap: Bootstrap is one of the original CSS frameworks with one of the most comprehensive sets of prebuilt components and available plugins.
- Tailwind: Tailwind is a utility-first CSS framework that enables developers to use classes that can be composed to build any design, directly in your markup.
- Materialize: Materialize is a modern responsive frontend framework based on Material Design principles.
- Foundation: Foundation is a popular frontend framework that’s especially notable for its email framework for building responsive emails.
- Bulma: Bulma is a CSS framework that uses utilities, syntax modifiers and other techniques to quickly and easily build attractive apps.
Each of these frameworks has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, Tailwind uses in-line CSS styles to build interfaces, making it easy for developers to incrementally add design elements like rounded corners or borders without a frontend designer having to create custom stylesheets. The drawback is that the HTML can become a bit unwieldy.
- Alpine: Alpine offers the reactive and declarative nature of bigger frameworks, like React or Vue, at a much lower cost.
Going Deeper Over Time
The popularity of CSS frameworks—and Bootstrap in particular—has led to an explosion of web applications using them. Unfortunately, without any design customization, many of these applications look similar. Custom design may not be imperative for a prototype application, but it can have a negative impact on production applications.
Design teams can help round out designs with:
- Color Palettes: Color palettes can make an application more attractive and consistent while influencing subconscious opinions.
- Font Pairings: Typography provides a visual hierarchy, helps balance a page and sets the tone for the overall design.
- Illustrations: Illustrations can help convey what an application or business does and influences the overall tone.
Outsourcing UI/UX Work
The average full-time salary for a UX design specialist is upwards of $100,000 per year, according to GlassDoor, which can be a significant commitment for smaller organizations. Of course, design is such an integral part of an application that it can be hard to outsource without a high level of communication and trust with the partner organization.
Sharkbyte specializes in intuitive UX consultation to help ensure that your applications are intuitive and easy to use. If you need help migrating to a production-ready state, our team augmentation services can provide senior-level support and accomplish things like a migration to React, Vue or Angular to decrease maintenance requirements.
Contact us today to discuss your project!
The Bottom Line
If you need help developing a solid UX strategy, Sharkbyte can help with everything from custom application development to team augmentation. Contact us today!